Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Where the Heart Is

Growing up, it was a big deal amongst me and my friends to be able to classify ourselves on various measures. One in particular that I could never decide on, though, was whether I was a city girl or a country girl. This was probably because I had moved states and changed schools enough to be mistaken for a military brat. To this day when people ask me where I'm from I can't give them a straight answer. I'm not even comfortable with saying that I am from one place or that I “belong” to a certain area (there's that gypsy mentality again), but most people are the opposite and feel better if I definitively classify myself. While studying abroad it has been easier to say that my home is where my (current) university is, but not many here (besides Slip Knot fans) have ever heard of “Iowa”. So, I have been classifying myself as the one identity that has been constant throughout my entire life: American.

While this answer does get some smirks or visible facial reactions, most want to know more about where I live. The majority of people associate America with L.A. or New York City and seem almost surprised when I begin telling them about the Great Plains (Pic above is actually England). Like I've already mentioned, Iowa is as good as a foreign planet to most (Americans included), and after my description of our farms and fields I have to spend another good amount of time explaining how where I live, specifically, is more of a city... but not a big city. This whole process ends up confusing both of us and the conversation is soon dead. After so many of these conversations, no matter how I put it, I began to realize that I was backpedaling away from being classified. I didn't want to be seen as a rural cowgirl or an elite city princess, and if the poor fool talked to me long enough, I would even begin to backpedal away from identifying with Iowa. I have always known that my travels have prevented me from latching on to a physical place as my permanent home. But even then I believed that my figurative home, the home of my memories and where my heart was, was in Iowa.

Now, being here, I am unsure if I can ever settle on one place as my home, let alone decide between the country side or the city. The thing is, home is where the heart is, and my heart is absolutely everywhere! It is in me and, specifically, in my experiences. It is with my family and friends. It is in everything I do and everywhere I go because I am the kind of person who puts passion into everything she does and encounters. This is why, when my friends begged me to decide if I was a city girl or a country girl all those years ago, I couldn't answer them; because I am both. This is why I adore traveling and seek out new experiences and why I will never be a rich person. :) This is why I actively make new friends and, undoubtedly, end up being a bit too trusting at times.(Here come the pictures!!!)

And all of this self-enlightened mush was to introduce the topic of my post and explain to you why I loved these past 5 days that I've spent in Suffolk! I give all of my love and thanks to my relatives who kept me and FED me!!! Speaking of food:

London England Fact Number Twelve: England DOES have good food (despite the stereotypes)! I tried Toad in the Hole (Sausage baked in a Yorkshire Pudding (bread dough thing)), a homemade Victoria Sponge Cake, Fish and Chips (fries) and much more all gluten free and all made in the traditional England style! Food makes me very happy (since good gluten free food is nearly impossible to find) and I can never thank them enough for the WONDERFUL food and hospitality they showed! I am already planning my trip back!

Besides the glorious food, Suffolk is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. Tucked away along the coast of England, it is home to some stunning old buildings and castle-like churches, one of the largest docks in England, classic farmland with rolling green hills, and a beautifully quaint little village called Kirton. My hosts so selflessly put up with me for the time that I was there and took me to see everything there was to see all the while sharing cool facts with me about the area and those who live(d) there. One of my favorite fun facts is that there is a man who lives on an old WWII sea fort that is literally two pillars and a platform. He took it over after the war and claimed it as his own principality called Sealand (I cannot make this stuff up!). He even has his own postage stamps, and you can see the outline of the place from the shore my hosts showed me (seriously look this dude up: http://www.sealandgov.org/).(Pic from website)
 




On top of that, the area is beautiful and historic. Driving around I couldn't help but think of the old WWII movies I had seen of the French and English country sides (I know, my American is showing) and how I was walking among some intense history! War forts over looked the docks and bunkers were still obvious in some areas. I even attended the local church service which had parts of the church dating back to the 13th century! I was in awe by it all! Modern families who live in this area though are not unlike any other family. Large (compared to London) houses with beautiful decorations, which reminds me...


England Fact Number Thirteen: All of the houses have names. Well, not all of them. But most of them that I saw were named. They were given names when they were built and a little placard was placed on the front to identify it. My favorite was named Narnia. :D (pic shown)


I adored my time in the country side! I could breathe without the pollution of London and got some quality time with family. Greens were greener and, though it rained most of the time, being outside was more enjoyable. I slept better than I have in a while and loved walking along the footpaths that ran through the open fields. I enjoyed playing with the dog (a black lab rottweiler mix (pic)) and my relative's two grand kids! I even had time (in between my busy schedule of relaxing) to go on one of the most beautiful runs I've ever been on around Kirton (Picture of one of the paths I found. I really did cherish my time in the country. Words cannot do it justice, it's an experience everyone must reward themselves with!














That being said, I'm back into London life, missing sleepy Suffolk, but enjoying my fast-paced city living as well. Next chance I get to travel will probably be Christmas! Cannot wait!!! Going to Germany with a friend and it's going to be epic!!! I'm afraid this gypsy spirit will never rest! :D 

P.S. Much cooler versions of several of these pictures are on my Instagram acct. if you're interested.  

No comments:

Post a Comment