Friday, September 6, 2013

The Enduring Saga of a Runner/Celiac Studying Abroad in London for No Logical Reason while Trying to Figure Out Life, Herself, and the Meaning of Everything



I like long titles.

I feel that if you have enough time and conviction to get through the title, you are well prepared for my posts which, more often than not, tend to drag on. Today, however, should be short. I say should be because as I write I tend to get caught up in my mind and babble on without checking the time. But today I have to get to work and still need to shower after this morning’s coffee-inspired run. (Looking back, this did tend to get kinda long... sorry).

In case you don’t know, I am a runner. I state this because I am hoping that more people other than my mom (love you!) are reading this and, therefore, should keep it general. Anyway, I am a runner. I’m not slow, not fast, don’t go ultra distances, but try to always pass 2 miles (usually). Also, I have Celiac Disease, making me a liability to the military, hence why I am not on a ship right now and have to use my own money to pay for school and travel the world. Both of these traits define who I am very much; along with other stuff… I’m not that dull. These things, however, will be a challenge for me as I am heading over to London, England in 4 days! 

Needless to say, I’m terrified; in a good way. I tend to fear the unknown, as most do, but I also get a drug-like high from diving into it anyway. My sister (love you), who LOVES the Divergent series, would say I belong in Dauntless. But back to London, I’m going to have to figure out a lot, like where to eat, where to run… (is there anything else in life?) while looking for a place to live. Did I mention I have been working so much I haven't even had time to start packing? I’m not a total dolt, though, when it comes to The British Empire. I visited once, after my senior year of HS, and LOVE the series Doctor Who which pretty much makes me an expert on the culture. My aunt’s husband (my mom’s sister’s husband) is from there too and the both of them and their family have been SUCH a help! But still, a lot is on me. It’s gonna be an adventure! 

Oh and, unlike the title suggests, I do have a reason to study abroad other than sheer adrenaline. I hope to finish my courses (however long that takes) and join Doctors Without Borders, and they really like knowing that you’re not xenophobic. Plus it’s good experience, will make me a better person, and is super awesome. I am also hoping to travel a lot within Europe. I have a friend or two in France, plus my friend who will be in Russia for the year and we plan to at least visit Germany. And I may force him to make a pit stop to Amsterdam with me. 

So, that’s me for now. Still get need to get everything done and spend my last few days with my family and friends before trekking off into the Great unknown. I’m hoping to be able to post pretty regularly, but tend to get distracted, or lazy. I feel like this first post pretty much sums it up though!

No comments:

Post a Comment